This week is National Infertility Awareness Week. I have debated on writing about the myth I wanted to write on for a few days. It is one that I have heard SO much since we adopted and it is one that I have the hardest time hearing now that I am a mom. The myth I want to bust is "If you adopt, you will get pregnant". Just because a couple adopts after going through years of infertility does not mean that they will get pregnant. While this does happen for some couples for others it does not. I have been on "the pill" for over 5 years now. We have had 2 pregnancies both of which were achieved through either clomid/IUI or with gonal-f/IUI. I have never been pregnant just the plain old natural way. Have I given up hope that maybe someday we will get pregnant like most people I know? Not at all. But I am also realistic in knowing that there's a good chance it won't happen for me. My cycles are usually 100+ days and have gotten even worse as I have been trying to lose weight over the last year (another myth...lose weight if you are over weight and you'll get pregnant/have normal cycles).
Anyways I guess I just wanted to share that being Infertile is something I continue to deal with and face on a regular basis. Yes I am a mom now and it has been the biggest dream come true for me but it does not cure/end a disease that I will probably always live with. It doesn't cure the months where I have pain. The cysts I have had removed, or any of the other ongoing issues I will have.
I know so many sweet girls that still live on with this even after their miracle babies come and I know so many that are still waiting for their miracle. So in honor of this week I pray for my sweet friends still waiting and for those who are on the other side and yet still live with this everyday! You girls have meant so much over the last 5 years! You truly get what it is to live with Infertility and for that I will always be grateful for your love and support! I am also thankful for those of you who don't live with this but still are there and have been supportive! Even though you don't get it you still care! So thank you!
To learn more about the Bust a Myth campaign http://www.resolve.org/infertility101
More background of National Infertility Awareness Week® (NIAW): http://www.resolve.org/takecharge.*

I so agree with you about this. I can't count the number of times people say this to me, well, so-and-so's cousin/friend/sister got pregnant right after they adopted. What will you do then with another one?!". It's so frustrating and I get sick of saying "well, actually that's pretty uncommon" because they tend then to just nod their heads, like they know more than me. Thank you for sharing your story! (found you via NIAC)
ReplyDelete