Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

10.02.2012

Christmas in October

Last year as most of you know I wanted to skip Christmas. If it weren't for little man we just might have not even decorated. It was my mom's favorite holiday. She shopped for months and by the time Christmas came around she had to dig everything out, count it all and make sure she was "fair" for everyone. She loved decorating and would put up like 3-5 different trees in the house, way more stockings than people, and listened to Christmas music for weeks. It was a holiday that I look back now and cherish so much. Not really the gifts as much as her company along the way in preparing for the holidays. This year I have been through a lot of emotions but feel like I will always miss her and that's ok. Its ok to still enjoy the holidays and do the fun stuff leading up to it even if she isn't there. So today we started our first fun holiday craft. We made cinnamon ornaments. They turned out adorable because my 2 year old did them. He is very independent and wanted NO help. We made stars, snowmen, dogs (yep we had to make puppies), and Christmas trees. I still have to lend some because it was really not possible for him to roll the "dough". The recipe I found was terrible but Im pretty sure part of it was because the apple sauce I was using was from one of his pouch apple sauces and not from a jar. But it really is just a TON of cinnamon and apple sauce. Bake it at 200 for 2.5 hours and there you have it. Adorable! He had a blast and it took care of an hour this morning. I tied some ribbon on them and hung them in the craft room till the tree goes up. My house also smells amazing which is a bonus!
So thankful I can find joy in the holiday season again even if it is only October. I know the real reason for it but when you are in the thick of grief it is so hard to see and find that Joy.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Your mom would have loved that...I'm sure she's happy you are carrying on the tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!
    I think we need to plan a Christmas Craft play date with the little guys!

    ReplyDelete